You can sign up to take belay classes at the climbing wall during normal hours.
Belay classes are currently being offered on Thursdays and Fridays through March 1, 2013 at 3:30-4:45pm & 6:30-7:45pm. You must be able to attend the full hour and 15 minutes.
Belay Procedures Policies
- In order to belay, belayers must be trained through the Campus Recreation Department.
- In order to belay, trained belayers must be on record with the Campus Recreation Department.
- No ATCs, Muenter hitch, or figure-of-eight belays. Gri Gris only.
- Belayers must lower climbers in a smooth and controlled manner.
- Once belay certified, the climber will be issued a WCU belay certification. The card MUST hang from the harness when they are climbing and belaying.
- Belayers must be anchored adequately to safely handle the weight of a falling climber.
- Each semester, all participants must demonstrate proper technique of belaying/top roping and pass the belay test prior to using the wall.
- Belayers will be given a warning the first time they are caught belaying incorrectly. A subsequent occurrence could require the belayer to retake the “belaying test”.
- Proper climbing commands must be used both before and while climbing. These commands are imperative to the safety of the climber, the belayer, and the other patrons.
- Never stand on the rope at any time. This can be dangerous for both the climber and the belayer and it can damage the rope.
- Belayers must remain standing at all times; belaying from a seated position is prohibited.
- Floor anchors must be used.